Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Nicolas at 15 Months - Trying so Hard to Talk

In the last 2-3 weeks Nicolas has been trying so hard to speak. His vocabulary now consists of banana, which also means more food please!; mango, his favorite fruit which sounds more like du-do; dog, which he says all the time; duck; oose, which means goose and ight, for light. Adam isn't as tuned in to his baby words as I am so he still thinks he's saying slight variations on dadada! I've got lots of book out from the library so he can see real animals as well as drawings of animals. To me it must be confusing to see a yellow rubber duck and realise that it is supposed to be a brown feathery thing!He loves being outside, especially when he's wearing his stylish summer clothes! He has such cute little white legs, but I need to get him some sandals to wear with shorts because he looks very English with white socks and shoes with his shorts.

He loves the lawn mower and follows me around when I mow. I think he just thinks it's a noisier vacuum cleaner. Eating stones, sticks and dirt is still his favorite thing to do outside and he's very stable now when he walks on uneven ground. He can go down steps facing forward if there is a rail to hold on to, and he can get off the deck where there are no steps by going down backwards. He climbs on everything and is pretty good at not falling off chairs he's standing on.


All the kids at church got dressed up for Easter, the cutest being my friend Andrea's three little blonde girls who all had matching dresses on. Nicolas' Easter outfit was courtesy of Auntie Gilly in England and he looked very smart.

The most impressive thing Nicolas has done in the last week was to take my huge bunch of keys and key rings and find a key and try to fit it in the front door lock. I've never shown him what to do, but he's obviously seen me open the door often enough to know what keys are for now.

Adam took Nicolas for a ride in the bike trailer this weekend. He went in it over summer, but in his car seat, but now he's big enough to just sit in the seat. He loved it, so I think I might make a trip to the park soon for a bike ride with him.

I was watering my plants today and Nicolas had a wonderful time splashing in the bucket of water with Leo. I just love it that he gets so much enjoyment from such simple things. I was so tired today, so it was great to be able to watch him play and be happy without any imput from me.
I also got out the aquadoodle mat that Shelley got the kids ages ago and he loved it. He's getting much better at holding a pen or crayon the right way up and making contact with the paper. We are also working on him feeding himself. It's very messy and he still needs my help with getting the spoon into the food, but he's fine at getting the food to his mouth. I hope by the time Pumpkin his here he'll be able to feed himself, but we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. i was cracking up at the bike trailor thing! soooooo cute. he is getting so big. and learning how to use a spoon is cool. i have yet to venture into that stage. i guess i am not ready for the mess. i hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing. Preggie and doing huge gardening projects. Made me laugh out loud when you said you were going to sell Leo's wee!!!! What a great mommy too.

    ReplyDelete