Thursday, August 7, 2008

Nicolas at 19 Month - A Big Brother

Adjusting to Adison and all the changes she has brought with her has been hard for Nicolas. He doesn't seem to mind her, and is very sweet and gentle when he touches her, but we have had so many people in and out of the house to see her, bring food and then the kids were here with Mom and Dad and then they all left and it's just me and Nicolas and Adison now. He adjusted well to start with but in the last week he has been so much more demanding.

He knows all the naughty things he shouldn't do, so when I'm nursing or not giving him enough attention, he will go and do something he shouldn't do. He is also very clingy when people arrive at the house but soon calms down and reverts to being his happy go lucky little self. I now plan something for us to do every morning so that he is kept busy and I've just signed him up for a toddler gymnastics class as he climbs and hangs on everything. He can do a forwards roll with minimal assistance so I felt I should channel his skills and not just stop him from climbing.

He understands everything I say to him but still doesn't speak other than "Deee!". I've posted the movies below because a bird had flown into the deck door about 4pm and stunned itself. He loves birds and shows them to me all the time at the park, so he knew it was a bird. I had to close the curtains because I hate birds and seeing it sitting there freaked me out. When it died Nicolas knew something was wrong and as soon as Adam came home, Nicolas took him to the door to show him the bird. He was very upset when the bird was gone. The "deeee" sound is his all purpose word. "Mior" is another new favorite. He is pretty good at animal sounds, but being a lion is his favorite because I have to pretent to be scared, which he loves.

Having Adison has made me love Nicolas so much more because he's so rough and tumble and nothing seems to bother him, but deep down I can see that his little world is very confused. I'm giving him as much care and attention as I can and time just with him and me, but it's hard. I don't know what I would do if Adison wasn't so content. I know in a few months he will be easier to control and understand more and he will have got used to all the changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment