Thursday, April 10, 2008

Our Soon to be Amazing Back Yard

I've had a lovely week this week catching up with my friends who teach as they are on vacation. I didn't have to make tea at church or have any meetings to go to, so it's been wonderful to relax. My biggest excitement was our neighbour giving us a great price to level and reseed the bottom of the front yard. He's also cut down the poison ivy and all the vines and sprayed to kill them, so it will look amazing once the grass grows. We never realized how big the yard actually is because it was under so many bush, vines and wasteland!!

We had cleared most of the big bushes, but the ground was uneven with lots of holes and big bare bits of dirt.

Adam had to take down the fence between the front and back yard, which was mostly held up by ivy and vines! Then they could really level the whole of the yard without the fence being in the way.
Woody is the best father in law I could have asked for, but most places where I try to dig in the yard I'll find gravel that he laid when he lived here. The gravel around where the old pool pump was, would fly up and hit me whenever I tried to mow, so I couldn't wait for it to be gone!
The guy with the bobcat created a HUGE mess and had to dig an 8-10 foot hole to try to dig out an old tree stump. I was worried he'd never get the yard level again, but he did.


I wasn't expecting them to go all the way along the deck leveling, but they did which is wonderful. I'm saving for some rock to edge my flowerbed with as the wood keep warping and moving, which drives me crazy.
I love Adam so much for paying for this (what else are tax rebates for, except credit card debt!!) because it's not something he felt needed to be done, he was used to the yard being a moto cross track when he was growing up, but now it's done I think he likes it. Also he won't have to hear me bitch and moan about being hit by rocks while I mow the grass or how the lawn mower gets stuck in all the holes. Nicolas and the kids will have a great place to play and we have made the house look nicer. He does have to put the fence back in to stop Leo escaping and trying to eat the neighbor's baby chicks, like he did this week, but once that is done I can take care of everything else. I want to plant flowers everywhere, but we have no money for that, so I will just enjoy the 2 hours a day it takes me to water the new lawn to make the seed grow! I think we will be buying a sprinkler for the hose!!















1 comment: