Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Front Garden - Another Posting for Mom

The front flower bed is looking great, but maybe a bit overgrown. We can definately thin some stuff out. The problem is 40% of the stuff dies back in winter, so I don't want it to look bare then. Jon has pressure washed the new fence and will paint it in the next few weeks, so then I can start making the new flowerbeds under Nicolas' window, down the new fence and at the bottom of the yard. I'm thinking roses and sun loving plants under Nicolas' window, mainly things I can cut for vases, fruit bushes along the new fence as that bed will also get lots of sun, and then some tall bushes along the bottom fence, for privacy with hostas and shade perennials mixed in for color. All this will take MANY years to do, but I'd love your ideas in July.The overview
The pink is some kind of lamb's ear Stephanie got for me and I love it. She's going to try to get some more. The agapanthus is about to flower and the tall spiky thing is a blazing star I'd forgotten I'd planted which will be purple. The lorepetum is being smothered by the hydrangea which is blooming for the first time and I love it! There is also a daisy that never flowers at the bottom right of the picture. If it doesn't flower this year it's being moved.
The daisy is at the bottom left of the picture and the rest is day lilies, which are doing great and could be divided this year and a salvia, which also loves it in this bed. At the back is the mahonia (spelt wrong I think) which is being smothered and a lobelia which is also being smothered by the succulent with the pink flowers (I can't think of the name at the moment)
In this area I planted the chrysanthamums (spelt wrong!!) I had in tubs last year and they are doing really well. There are also the day lilies and oriental lilies which are all smothering my variagated butterfly bush. I'm moving the butterfly bush this year as it's never done anything here. I also have some forget me nots and coreopsis that are buried at the back and need moving to a sunnier bed.

Apart from the blazing stars that I forgot I planted and are a bit too tall for the bed, everything here is fine and I'm really happy with it. The gardenias were in flower for the shower so it smelt wonderful when everyone arrived. I put some petunias in the tubs by the door and in the first two whiskey barrels, and that will be all the annuals I do this year. My pansies will be dead in a few weeks but hopefully the day lilies will make up for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment