Sunday, June 24, 2007

Summer Vacation - Week 4

Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday
The kids have been in Vacation Bible School each morning this week. For those who have never heard of VBS, there are 400+ kids who get divided up into groups of 12-15 and they learn songs and a bible story each day. Over the week they learned to listen to, follow and trust God, and that if they repented their sins, God would forgive them.

They had a great time but I got sick on Monday afternoon. I’d been helping in the area where the kids did science experiments to illustrate the message of the day, and I felt so sick that I had to cancel on Tuesday. It was the first time I’d been sick since Nicolas was born. Luckily Jaden and Kirsten were happy to watch TV all afternoon when they got back from VBS and Nicolas just lay on the bed and played with his toys next to me. I felt better on Wednesday and helped at VBS and then the kids went to gymnastics in the afternoon. They are both doing so well in their class and Kirsten’s listening skills are getting much better!

Thursday
I spent the morning catching up on all the housework and grocery shopping from being sick, while the kids were at VBS and then we just spent the afternoon by the pool. Kirsten is doing so well with her swimming. She was a bit nervous at the start of summer and wanted to swim with her life jacket on, but now she rarely wears it and will dive off the side. Jaden still isn’t comfortable diving, but is good at his strokes.

Our neighbor’s child, Jevon has spent most of the week with us. He is the youngest of a lot of children (we aren’t sure how many but we think there are at least 5) who live over the fence in the house Stephanie used to live in. He gets a pretty rough time from his older brothers and he plays very well with both Jaden and Kirsten, so I’m happy to have him round. He is very sweet and polite and entertains the kids, so I can relax a bit.

Sam, Isaac and Lilli came round for lunch and then Erin and the boys came round to swim in the afternoon. Erin looked after Nicolas so I could mow the grass at the back for Jaden’s party and then we just got to hang out. I’ve always dreamed of having a house where everyone just pops in, and that’s what happens. The kids love the fact there is usually someone for them to play with.

Friday
With help from my artistic director (AKA Adam!) I managed to make Jaden’s whale cake. I had to make it while he was at VBS because otherwise if I made it while he was there, he would have been telling me it was the wrong color and shape to be a real whale! He’s a real perfectionist and everything he draws has to be an exact replica of the animal. Luckily he loved the whale.

Woody came round in the afternoon to see the kids, which was a big treat and then Blake and Jevon played for most of the afternoon, which let me get ready for Jaden’s birthday.

Saturday
Jaden had a really good birthday party and loved all the presents he got. Jevan stayed the night as a treat for Jaden and was no trouble. I was worried that Nicolas might wake him, but all the kids slept until 8am, so I got a late sleep!!

Sunday
We all went to church today, including Jevan, because Kirsten was in the choir singing the songs from VBS. She looked so cute and little doing all the moves to the songs. I felt so proud watching her and having Adam beside me. It was the welcome service for the new Pastor and all three services were combined. It was wonderful and the church was packed full.

We just relaxed with the kids this afternoon and played in the pool with them. Adam is so funny with them, it was like he had a pack of performing seals, and they loved it!!

1 comment:

  1. you guys just had a great week and weekend!! how exciting...i need a pool!

    ReplyDelete