Friday, March 6, 2009

Fun in the Snow!

It has only snowed once in the 5 years I've lived in GA but it snowed last weekend. I didn't think it would stick, but it did.
We are pretty near the river and Adam thinks that's why we didn't get as much snow as the neighborhoods around us, but we still got a couple of inches.

I made Nicolas a couple of snowmen which he wasn't very impressed with.

Dad always made us little snowmen with arms when we were little so I wanted to carry on the tradition.
When Adam got home from work it was snowing quite hard. Because it never snows we are totally unprepared for it clothes wise. Adam has a cold weather suit but neither of us has wellies, and neither does Jaden. We had fun but got wet feet.
We also have no sledge and I have no idea where we would buy one even if we wanted one. So we improvised and used a trash bag!! When it snowed last we were living at the old house and we pushed the kids down the slope behind the house in an old paddling pool, which they have never forgotten, so we felt we had to do something equally memorable this time. I've posted the video and it's very funny!
We had lots of fun but Adison was a bit bemused by it all.

Blake had just come home from basketball practice which is why he was in his shorts.

My lovely outfit! Adam laughed at me for having washing up gloves on over my gloves, but we always did that as kids when we were going for a hard day of sledging, and my hands were lovely and warm and dry. I can't say the same about my feet which were cold and wet without wellies!


By Monday there was still snow on the ground so school was cancelled. I can see why northerners (and Canadians!) laugh at the south as 1/4 inch of snow stops everything! The kids had great fun as there was still a bit of snow, but it was warm.
Blake is always prepared for any kind of sport and he had a sledge, which worked pretty well on the tiny slope in the front yard.
I got lots of praise from the kids because when they were eating snow and I suggested they put it in a container and we pour strawberry slushie syrup over it.
It tasted pretty good and took me back to my childhood of eating snow with apple juice or orange squash poured over it. The slushie syrup was a definate improvement though.

Adam and I are determined that we are going to New England or Canada in the next few years so the kids can experience real snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment