Sunday, May 3, 2009

CRCT Olympics at Kirsten's School

I always say I won't volunteer for things, but it just seems to happen. I told both Jaden and Kirsten's teachers that if there was anything they needed help with, just to let me know. I didn't think they would need me as school was nearly over, but they did!
On a red hot day in the middle of April Kirsten's grade did the CRCT olympics. The CRCTs are the tests they take each year which they have to pass to move to the next grade and the olympics was a series of stations (manned by parents) where the kids could do different activities to practice for the tests the following week.

They all sang songs to start with and then went from station to station.
This was my station and they had to use their partner to form the hands on a clock to show the time they were told. I was in such a rush to draw the clock that I put a 9 where the 7 should be, which Adam found very amusing! Luckily I only ran the station for about 15 mins and then someone took over for me.
Nicolas and Adison were angels and luckily I had a hat for Adison to stop her getting too burned.
There were stations where they had to count out the correct money, add and subtract things and use the skills they needed for the CRCTs.
I am learning so much about the American school system. I'm lucky that thanks to church I know so many people now, so there is always someone to help me or who I can get to explain things to me.
Kirsten had fun and loved showing Adison off to her friends so I was glad I'd made the effort to go, even though these things always coincide with nap time.
Nicolas was just happy running around after Kirsten and playing with this ball on a string.

No comments:

Post a Comment