Friday, February 12, 2010

Injuries and Our Last Day

Once the power came back on they could heat up the pool. It was still a bit cold for Adison but she got to wear her new swimsuit from Lianne and she and Nicolas both tried out their new floaties. They are like mini life jackets rather than the arm bands they used last year.

Nicolas loved his and took off swimming after a few minutes getting used to it, but Adison was cold and just wanted to be held.
The kids had a great time and then we went home for lunch.

I'd dried Adison's hair and it was all cute and fly away, and actually looked quite thick. We had taken her travel highchair that clips to the table but because it's really hard to undo the straps, we hadn't bothered strapping her in. I NEVER leave her unstrapped at home, but on vacation everything just seems more relaxed.
Anyway a few minutes after this photo was taken I was sitting on one side of her with Adam on the other at the table and I took my eyes of her for a second, and that was the moment she decided to try to climb out of the highchair and as I looked back at her she was falling out of the highchair backwards!
I grabbed for her but was too late and she fell onto her back on the carpet. I was worried about her neck but as I saw her fall I knew she would be OK. She cried and touched her right should a couple of times, but I thought she was just so tired from the swimming in the morning that she would be OK. She went down for her nap and we didn't think too much of it until 4pm when we went to wake her and she cried pitifully and carried on touching her shoulder.
To cut a long story short, I took her to the ER 30 mins away on twisty, icey road while Adam stayed with the other kids and she has broken her collar bone. She was a bit sad the first two days and we kept her dosed up on Ibuprofen, but now 10 days on you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her. She saw an orthopedic dr in Atlanta who gave her a little sling, but she refuses to wear it, which apparently is normal and doesn't affect the healing of the bone.

So we left on Wednesday morning and made the beautiful drive back. We all survived sledding, skiing and icey roads only to have Adison break a bone in her high chair!
Our vacation was amazing and I can't wait to go back, but this time Adison will be strapped into the highchair, no matter how hard it is to get her out!!





No comments:

Post a Comment