Thursday, February 4, 2010

Our Trip to Sapphire Valley, NC

We set off for what I expected to be an ok vacation, with not much to do for the kids, and maybe a bit of skiing on packed ice. We drove for about 2 hours and there was no sign of the snow that was forecast, and then we started to get up into the mountains!

It started as a light smattering of snow...

and then the road started to get covered.....
and by the time we got to Sapphire, the road, trees and pretty much everything was covered with about 2-3 inches of beautiful powdery snow! The roads were small, twisty and very steep but Adam drove so well that we could just enjoy the view and the first real snow the kids had ever seen, without worrying that we were going to slide off the road and plunge down the side of the mountain!
Normally when we get somewhere I unpack while the kids and Adam explore. This time we all got on our snow clothes and raced outside as fast as we could.
Our condo is just across the road from where Adam stayed every year as a child, so it brought back happy memories for him. The condo was great and had everything we needed but the bedroom was on the bottom floor and now I'm used to living on one level, I felt a bit claustrophobic sleeping under the living room. When the kids woke up it was like a small herd of elephants running about over the top of us so late sleeps weren't an option.
There is a golf course just behind the condos and so we went and played in the snow there for a few hours.
We didn't have sleds, partly because I don't know where I would have bought them in GA, but because we weren't expecting snow I probably wouldn't have taken them anyway.
Having grown up with lots of snow I'm sure I learned early on that rolling in snow may be fun in the moment, but when you are cold and wet afterwards, it's not that great! Unfortunately none of the kids learned that this vacation and spent quite a lot of the time wet from rolling in the snow.

Adison wasn't sure what to make of the snow, but she was quite happy as long as someone was holding her.
This is the road to the condo, it was incredibly steep and we were worried that we wouldn't be able to get in and out, but the maintenance was amazing. Someone salted and ploughed the road several times a day. I think Adam only hit ice once on the road (if he hit it more he didn't tell me so I wouldn't panic!).
By the time we made it back to the condo, everyone was tired and very happy. I was like a little kid as I haven't been in proper snow since I worked in Canada, which must be 8 years ago now.
This picture shows just how much snow was falling.
When we got up the next day it rained in the morning, which of course froze, so everything had 1/2 an inch of ice on it. Luckily the roads were ok so we went off to get sleds, boots and anything else I'd forgotten.
We bought the last sleds the hardware store had, so we were very lucky. It would have been a miserable time without the sleds.
Jaden isn't injured in the picture above, just rolling in the snow as usual!!
Nicolas had no nap and walked miles, so at times it just got too much for him!

With the snow having ice on top, Adison was too light to sink in and get a grip so we had to carry her or she just slid around. She wasn't keen on sledding. She is far more my child than Adam's when it come to adrenaline fuelled activities. Nicolas as the crazy Woodall 'need for speed' gene, as some of the videos I'll post later show.

No comments:

Post a Comment