Sunday, May 2, 2010

Atlanta History Museum

We took the kids to the Atlanta History Museum on Saturday. It was free for Bank of America card holders so we presumed that meant all of us, but they were sneaking and we had to pay for the kids!
We had a great time, if somewhat stressful with the kids trying to touch everything. It was definitely more for older kids but the grounds are beautiful and so they got to run around outside and thankfully it didn't rain.
It was great to learn about the Civil War and hopefully I'll remember some of the facts ready for 4th and 6th grade social studies. I have a huge book all about the history of America which I think I need to read this summer in preparation for helping Jaden with Middle School homework.
The museum is built in the grounds of the Swan House. The house is pretty but looks better from the outside. We took the tour and Nicolas and Adison did pretty well. I'm determined to train them young how to behave so that when they are older we can have calm visits to museums and know that they won't damage anything.
They had a tiny playhouse in the grounds which was so cute.
There is also an old farm house and barns on the grounds.
I loved seeing the old house and then modern high rise right next to each other. It amazes me how recently everything has happened in America and how it shapes American attitudes to everything. When I think that the house I grew up in was built well before the Civil War started, and I never really thought of our house as old, it puts everything into perspective.
The garden had the kind of casual, slightly overgrown feel that I'd love to recreate in my yard.
The kids were fascinated by the hens.
Then we looked around the slave cabin which was pretty big compared to some that I've seen before.
They also have part of the museum commemorating the 1996 Olympics which was held in Atlanta. Who knows, one day Nicolas may be on a medal podium for cycling!!
We did a lot of walking and then Papa and Teffi came for dinner so it was a very busy, tiring day. I thought Nicolas was in bed but when I heard noises outside our room I found him fast asleep on the carpet with Leo!
Having seen how yukky my carpets look in this photo I've spent today shampooing all the carpets in the house. Thanks to Leo and Nicolas I get to do that at least every 3 months or else my cream carpets turn orange from the GA clay and mucky footprints!

No comments:

Post a Comment