Monday, May 10, 2010
School Fun with Jaden
I just feel like I've got used to Elementary School with the kids and now Jaden is off to Middle School! My experience of American schools is limited to vague memories of Degrassi junior high and Beverly Hills 90210 and the reality is somewhat different! We went to his parent's evening at his new Middle School (ages 11-14) last week.
I was really excited to see a middle school for the first time but there were no lockers down the hallways which was disappointing! Adam takes it all in his stride and laughs at me for getting excited and nervous, but because he works such long hours, it falls to me to be the kids support and help out in their classes as much as I can (which is not much at the moment as teachers don't really want me there with Nicolas and Adison in tow!). I get to go in for special things the kids do but next year when Nicolas and Adison are in preschool I'll be able to do much more.
I took really bad photos because I felt kind of embarrassed to be taking pictures, so I took them very quickly. The orchestra played a few songs and Jaden has actually said he'd like to play something in the band next year (hopefully not the violin - I don't think my ears could take it!). We listen to a presentation in the cafeteria and then broke up into small groups for a tour of the school and more info.
We couldn't find a babysitter so Nicolas and Adison came too. They were great until we got to the small group and Nicolas embarrassed Jaden by trying to give him a kiss. Jaden tried to push him away and Nicolas said in his loud 3 year old voice 'I just want to give you a kiss'. I took them home after that (once I could find my way out of the school!) and Adam and Jaden finished the tour.
Then on Thursday they had a United Nations day in Jaden's class. He had to make a poster about his English heritage and then present it to the class. He also had to take in a traditional food from his country of origin, so I made scones with jam and cream. His class is so diverse that there was all kinds of wonderful food for us to try.
Jaden's teacher is second from the right with her hair tied back. She is so young but so motivated and Jaden loves her. Having only had one Chinese kid in my year at school I love the fact that there are so many different ethnicities at the kids school. I was very stressed by the time I got my scones there because they really are only good when they are warm so I made them at the last minute had had to fill 60 of them with jam and cream. The kids liked them and Jaden appreciated us being there, so it was worth it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment