Sunday, February 3, 2008

Nicolas at 13 Months - Walking, Saying Mama and a 5th Tooth on the Way

Just when I think I can't love Nicolas any more, he learns something new and I just adore him even more. I'm definately not a baby person, I love him so much more now he's a little person. He's been walking properly for the last two weeks and rarely crawls. He still can't stand up by himself, so he has to crawl to something to pull himself up on if he falls down. He looks like a little drunk man as he is still very unsteady on his feet. When he's outside the smallest bump will make him wobble or fall, but on a flat surface he walks very well.
He loves being outside, especially with Leo. We are still working on the bottom of the yard to make a play area for the kids, so until that's ready he just walks on the driveway and eats leaves!


Adam has been getting home by 7 or 7:15pm so he's been able to put Nicolas to bed for the last week. Once Nicolas has had his bath he has some milk and then 2 stories and then if he isn't asleep in your arms he's so tired you can just put him in his cot and he'll go to sleep. Jaden and Kirsten didn't have a bedtime routine so Adam had to spend ages trying to get them to sleep, so he loves the fact Nicolas will go to bed so easily. His bedtime routine is definately one of the best things we have done. He still sleeps for 12 hours a night and occasionally he will wake at 5am but I just leave him until he goes back to sleep.
I have a bible study on a Sunday evening so Adam and Nicolas get to spend quality time together. Because I'm with Nicolas all day I only spend an hour or so playing with him and that usually involves teaching him how to put his shapes in the right hole on the sorter and now we are working on jigsaws. Adam plays silly games with him and wrestles with him, which he loves and is something I don't really do.Nicolas still loves his baths and playing with the tap is his favorite thing.


In the last couple of days Nicolas says Mama constantly. He knows it's something to do with me, but I don't think he realizes its actually my name. It's very cute to have him say it so much. He was saying Da Da, occasionally before, but again I don't thing he realized Dada was Adam. We are working on learning body parts and facial features now, but it's slow going! I don't think Nicolas will have Nicole's language skills, but I just want to be able to talk to him and have him respond.

His favorite game is peek-a-boo and he'll do it for strangers in shops or for me if I'm not giving him enough attention. He is just the cutest thing because he doesn't realise he's supposed to cover both eyes, so usually he'll cover one eye and one ear!
Where's Nicolas?
Peek-a-boo I see you!!
We both have horrible colds. He is really miserable and he's getting his 5th tooth, on the right of his top teeth. I don't know if his teeth will come in on the left because of the bit of his gum that's missing, but he has an appointment this month with a pediatric dentist who specializes in cleft palates so we will see what they say.

I love Nicolas to bits and I'm really worried about leaving him for 2 days to go on a bible retreat in Feb. I know he'll be fine with Adam, but I worry I'll miss him so much. I've never left him for more than 6 hours. I know it will be good for me and him and I love Adam so much for letting me go as he'll have all three kids to look after that weekend!





.

1 comment:

  1. I just love that photo of him with Adam and his hair is brushed after a bath. Just wait till he learns how to stand up, it's so funny, they stick their butts high in the air and push up with the hands. He is sooooo adorable and I can't wait to hopefully see him soon.

    ReplyDelete