Thursday, August 13, 2009

Potty Trained and Building Towers

It has been five weeks since we started potty training Nicolas and it took 3 weeks before I was confident he was done. He was great for the first 3 days with no accidents, but he wouldn't pooh in the potty. Then he started to have accidents during the day. Adam felt that because he was in diapers for naps and at night, he just forgot what he was wearing. So for a week every nap time and every morning I was washing wet sheets and shampooing the carpet where he'd slept behind his door and weed on the floor - his room smelt revolting!!

After the first week with no diapers at all the accidents stopped and he was poohing in the potty. It took another couple of weeks before he was totally dry at night, but now he's been dry at night for over a week and only had one tiny accident last Saturday.

When I potty train Adison I will just go cold turkey with no diapers from day one. We are now working on standing up to wee as he still sits down and uses the potty not the loo. It has been easier than I thought, but took longer, I thought he'd be done in a week, but he's the only child of his age who is dry through the night too out of his little friends, so I'm proud of him.

His little bottom is just so cute in underwear. I love the fact that when he's running around in his underwear in the house I can imagine what Adam would have been like at the same age. They are both the same shape and so I get a glimpse into what Adam was like as a little boy growing up in our house.
My friend Julie gave Nicolas a box of wooden blocks ages ago and he was never interested in them. Will and I spent hours as children playing with blocks, so I was kind of disappointed. Then all of a sudden a couple of weeks ago he found the blocks in the closet and now all he wants to do is build towers. Even Jaden and Kirsten will build towers and gates to rooms with him. If he doesn't want to go down for his nap he'll call through the door "I build huge tower for you Mommy", in the hope that I'll open the door to look!

No comments:

Post a Comment