Saturday, March 20, 2010

Indoor Rock Climbing

We are trying to plan more things to do with the kids and also to find non traditional sports for them to try as neither of them will ever be a soccer or swimming legend!

Adam and Woody learn to belay.

I found this place where they do a family night price for indoor rock climbing which makes it much cheaper than if you have to rent all the equipment separately, but it's still pretty expensive. Kirsten is just a natural and climbing anything, so we knew she would love it, but Jaden did really well and Nicolas even climbed too!

Our friends Kenli and Skylar came too and so did Jaden's friends Jeremiah and Lenny. The Dad's and Woody did the belaying (holding the rope so the climber doesn't fall if they let go) and I tried to keep control of Nicolas and Adison. It was great having Woody because he could belay for Kirsten while Adam belayed for Jaden or Nicolas.

Adison was her usual angelic self and just sat in the stoller and ate her snacks while I tried to stop the kids running into other climbers, getting tangled in ropes and generally doing all the things they weren't supposed to do.

It was a wonderful evening and we will definately go back, but it's not somewhere I could take the kids without several other adults to help!
Sklar attempts an overhang and then takes the easy route and goes down the slide!

Nicolas also loved the slide but it gave him a taste for climbing so then he wanted to do what everyone else was doing.
Kirsten makes it to the top of the easy wall.
And then she tried the harder wall.
The place has all kinds of walls of varying difficulty. I've climbed a couple of time so I knew that even the slighted slope outwards is virtually impossible to climb for a novice. The kids all thought that they would be hanging upside down from the roof when we first walked in, and they quickly learned just how hard it is!
I though Nicolas would just climb up and down the little wall next to the slide, but he was determined to climb the big walls too. He did so well and looked so cute and serious as he climbed up. He would get about 15 feet up and then get scared and want to come down but I was impressed with how good he was. It just shows that he's got very little of me in him!
Adam and Woody both climbed a couple of times and were really good. Woody didn't think it would be his new favorite sport, but he enjoyed it.


Nicolas had to have a special harness because he was so little!

Jaden like the boulders best because they weren't so high
But once his friends got there he made it to the top of one of the big walls just to show them that he could!
The climbing instructor, Jeremiah, Lenny and their Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment