Sunday, April 15, 2007

Nicolas at 14-15 Weeks Old - His Hernia is Gone

I didn't have time to write last week with having the kids here. Nicolas enjoyed the added stimulation that having them here creates, but I worried he missed out on having the quality time he spends with me. Jaden and Kirsten are my priority when they are with us because we have such limited time together. Also I spent most of last week baking and decorating cakes for the new Mom's at church. I've visited 3 so far and have another 5 to see next week. I love my new role and have met so many really great people because of it. I'm practicing saying No as there are so many ways I could help in the church, but I don't want to end up totally exhausted and with no time for Nicolas.

I've started to read to Nicolas which he loves. My friend Rebecca suggested reading to him when we are both on our backs, with the book above us, that way it's harder for him to look away. He stares at the book, but I'm not sure how much he actually sees. I talk to Nicolas constantly and Jaden made me laugh last week because he asked me how many times I had to tell Nicolas what noises a cow, horse, sheep etc made! I explained that you talk to babies all the time and that eventually it all sinks in and makes sense, but at the moment Nicolas just likes the sound of our voices.

Nicolas loves sucking his hand. When he wakes in the night he'll suck his hand for about 15 minutes before he cries which gives me a valuable few minutes extra sleep. I'm really tired at the moment because nothing works to make him sleep for more than 4-5 hours at a time. If he's awake for more than 2 hours during the day without a sleep he just gets over tired and screams and won't feed. I just accept that the payoff for him being so good during the day is less sleep at night. I hope he'll be better once he starts on solid food.
Nicolas still adores Adam, mainly because Adam lets Nicolas fall asleep on him, whereas I keep him awake and make him sleep in his cot/crib.
I'm working hard to get Nicolas to sit upright. He loves his reclining seat as he can kick while he's sitting watching me cook etc, but I put him in his Bumbo seat alot for short periods to encourge him to sit up. He enjoys it if he's not tired and will look around, but if he's tired, he screams the moment he's put in it.

Nicolas' head control is really good now and he can hold it up for ages while he looks around. We practice 'crawling' for about 30 minutesa day. He can move forward by himself, but it's just rocking and wiggling. He's great if I put my hands behind his feet for him to push against. He can support his weight on his legs, so this week I started to walk him around. I hold him steady and then move his legs forward so he can feel what it's like to walk. He loves the new perspective it gives him on the room. It has also helped Leo realize Nicolas is just a little person. Now when Nicolas is in his chair outside, Leo brings him his ball and puts it on his lap and wait for Nicolas to throw it. Leo doesn't realise it will be a long time before Nicolas can throw the ball for him!!
Nicolas' umbilical hernia has finally healed and his new belly button is so cute! As you can see his washable diapers are huge!

1 comment:

  1. that is so cute that the dog brings him the ball! he looks so cozy in the bumbo chair. i am so glad you finally updated, i had been looking everyday!!

    ReplyDelete