Monday, July 12, 2010

Nicolas' Surgery in Pictures

The day before Nicolas' surgery we tried to have some fun, partly to take my mind off Thursday but also to get rid of some of his energy. We went to a bouncy place, his favorite thing to do.
He and Adison play so sweetly together at the moment so they had great fun with minimal input from me.


I didn't feel nervous but I think I was as I cleaned all my kitchen cabinets and then on Thursday morning we just ran a few errands. Nicolas opened his get well card from Granny and Grandpa.

Then he posed perfectly for his 'before' shot.


We met Adam at work and drove to Scottish Rite. It was kind of sad to see him walking into the hospital with no idea really what was going to happen to him. I'd brought his favorite toys and blanket just to make him feel a bit happier.

He had a great time playing with the toys

and then we went back to see the nurses and all the doctors.

Because we had talked so much about what was going to happen he was very relaxed. He was definately disappointed with the 'silly juice'. I think he expected a cup of something yummy, not a syringe of something no so nice! He didn't complain though.

He was definitely more sleepy after that and watched a bit of TV with Adam until the nurses came to wheel him out. That was when I cried a little bit, but a hug from Adam made me feel better and we went and got some food.


My heart just broke for the poor little boy when he came back, until he started to try to claw at his lip and rip is IV out! Once he'd had a little sleep he was just how I knew he'd be, tired, uncomfortable but very brave. He said a couple of times 'my lip feels funny' and 'I don't like how my lip feels', but that was it.





Before he rubbed his lip on the bed there was hardly any bleeding. Dr Burstein said he lost less than a teaspoon of blood which is great. After his little fit some of the stitches bled a bit so he looked worse but still I thought he looked pretty good. It was very swollen of course.

I hate IVs so I couldn't look at that. That was one of the worst parts of giving birth to Nicolas, having to have the IV. Luckily with Adison I didn't have one (only because I refused!).

After about an hour Nicolas was ready to go home.

He was very excited to get his present from Granny and Grandpa, so it was a happy end to a long, tiring and very stressful day. I then had a very broken night's sleep with him in my bed in case he needed me, which of course the little angel didn't, but at least I was there to hear him wimper in his sleep. I love my little boy so much and can't wait to see how he looks when the stitches fall out and the swelling goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment