Monday, December 31, 2007

Dad and Nicolas' Birthday Party

Nicolas' party was wonderful. It had rained all night, so I was worried that the kids wouldn't be able to go outside, but in the end the day was cool but dry, so the older kids played outside and the babies played inside. I've got quite a few friends from church and the Mom's groups I belong to, so it was great to be able to invite my friends with babies as well as family.

Dad opening one of his presents

Adam's friend Tim, Ben, Dad, Woody and Adam
We had a great time and Nicolas was a little angel. Adam's Mom was able to come from North Carolina with Adam's little sister, so it was the first time Nicolas had all his grandparents together. He got amazing and very useful presents, so I don't think I'll ever need to buy him another toy again!!

Adam's stepdad Mark, my Dad, Adam's Mom Teresa, Nicolas, my Mom, Adam's stepmom Stephanie and Adam's Dad Woody.

His cake was my most ambitious so far, but with a few minor problems (the zebra's stripes running and no time to put stripes on the tiger, so it looked like an orange bear!), the overall impression was pretty good. I wanted to have an animal theme for Nicolas and as it was Dad's cake too, I wanted to make a train. Also I needed to combine a little cake that Nicolas could have all to himself, as is traditional here for a babies 1st birthday, so I came up with the idea of a jungle train going past a watering hole. Only the pelican wasn't edible and I can save the animals for other cakes in the future as the fondant will last forever! At least it tasted good, which is what is most important to me!

Dad had to help Nicolas eat the cake as he he did was stick his fingers in the icing and not eat any cake. Once Dad helped him he ate a pretty big piece!

2 comments:

  1. that cake is amazing!!!!!!! great job. too bad i couldn't see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alison, that is one impressive cake! It makes my car and road scene for Jake look somewhat simple - I'll have to think of something more complex for next year! Brian

    ReplyDelete