Friday, June 4, 2010

Kirsten's Field Day

I have such happy and scary memories of sports days at school - the sense of fear before a race and the exhilaration and sense of pride after it was over (providing I did well). It was such a big occasion. Now in the world of non competitiveness the kids can't have a sports day in case someone loses, so they have field day instead.
The teachers and volunteers try really hard to make it fun, but it's intensely boring. We just followed Kirsten around while she and her partner half-heartedly threw hoola hoops and balls, bounced in sacks and wandered aimlessly around.
I'm glad I went as she enjoyed having us there, but it's definitely not the highlight of the school year for me. It's so sad that political correctness gets in the way of a true learning experience, the kids would learn about success and failure from a real sports day, instead of being bored during the field day.
Kirsten and her very patient teacher Ms Jacobs!



Even Nicolas was bored at the end and said he was 'going for some quiet time!'

No comments:

Post a Comment